(5) Install new gasket and seal. Replace any
(2) Tighten nut (7) until the wheel bearing
binds slightly when wheel is rotated, then back off nut
slowly until wheel rotates freely. Bend tang on washer
c. Reassembly and Installation.
(6) to lock the nut (7) in position.
(1) Refer to figure 4-15 and reassemble and
(3) Complete reassembly and installation.
install the seal, bearings, and hub assembly.
DO NOT REMOVE BEARING CUPS (10,13) UNLESS DAMAGED OR WORN. WHEN INSTALLING
NEW CUPS, EXERCISE CARE NOT TO BUR OR DAMAGE CUP. DO NOT REMOVE BOLTS (12)
FROM HUB ASSEMBLY (11) UNLESS DAMAGED.
10. Bearing cup
19. Bracket, top, rh
20. Bracket, base, rh
13. Bearing cup
22. Bracket, top Ih
14. Bearing cone
23. Bracket, base, lh
Washer, nut lock
24. Spring, Ih
25. Spring, rh
Washer, wheel bearing
Figure 4-15. Hub and axle assembly, exploded view.
4-34. Axle Assembly
(1) Clean all parts with solvent.
a. Removal and Disassembly.
(2) Inspect inserts for pitting, grooving, and
(1) Remove the wheel and tire assemblies
excessive wear. Inspect springs for cracks, breaks, and
loss of tension.
(2) Refer to figure 4-15 and remove and
(3) Inspect brackets and axle for cracks,
disassemble the axle assembly in the numerical
breaks and other damage. Replace damaged and
missing hardware. Replace a defective part.
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.