Replace all components that are worn, chipped or
Before this operation be sure that
lapped surfaces of the seal rotary
and stationary components are free
(1) Install oil seals (24 and 31) in
of dust and foreign material and are
intermediate housing (35) and bearing retainer (32)
lightly lubricated with MIL-L-2104
grade 10 oil.
(2) Position bearing (34) on impeller shaft
(29), install retainer rings (33) and install bearing
(5) Install shim set ( 18) on shaft (29). Refer
retainer (32) on impeller shaft (29).
to paragraph 6-2d caution remark.
The total thickness of shims should
conforming to MIL-G-23827 prior to
allow an initial clearance of .030-to
assembly. Apply grease lightly to
.050-inches between the face of the
seal plate and the adjacent face of
the impeller when the impeller is
tightly screwed on the shaft.
(3) Install impeller shaft (29) into intermediate
housing (35). Secure with retaining ring (30).
(6) Screw impeller (17) onto impeller shaft
(7) Aline and install the intermediate housing
(1) Install the stationary element (20) into the
(35) and intermediate guard (43) on the pump and
seal cavity of the seal plate (22).
secure with eight lockwashers (41) and capscrews (42).
6-4. Volute Casing
The seal plate should be clean and
the seal cavity bore lightly lubricated
a. Removal. Refer to paragraph 6-2 and remove
with oil MIL-L-2104 grade 10. The
the volute casing.
seal stationary element and the O-
ring should be clean and free from
dust and lightly lubricated in its
(1) Remove the four nuts (1, fig. 6-1), and
entirety with oil MIL-L-2104 grade 10.
remove the suction adapter (2) and the check valve
The stationary element should be
installed in the seal plate with the
(2) Remove the two screws (9) and
lapped face towards the pump.
lockwashers (8) and separate the large valve weight (7),
Extreme care should be used to
small valve weight (5) and check valve gasket (6).
make sure the lapped face is not
marred when installing. Care should
also be used to make sure that the
On model US36ACG, two nuts (4) are
stationary seal element is installed
used with the screw (9) and
into the complete depth of the seal
lockwasher (8) that secure the large
cavity bore. If this is not done, or the
valve weight (7) and small valve
lapped surface is marred or dirty, the
weight (5) to the check valve gasket
seal will leak.
(2) Install seal plate (22) on intermediate
(3) Remove the two nuts (10)
lockwashers (11) and remove the wear plate (15).
Use care not to displace the seal
On model US36ACG, the wear plate
stationary component when placing
(15) is secured with two flathead
seal plate over shaft (26).
(3) Lubricate with oil MIL-L-2104, grade 10
(4) Remove the drain cock (47), reducing
the internal diameter of the rubber sleeve portion of the
bushing (46), four studs (48), eight studs (13), and eight
seal rotary element (19) and insert shaft sleeve (231 (so
studs (14), if necessary, from the volute casing (49).
that the internally beveled end will be towards engine)
(5) Nameplate (45) and drive screws (44)
into rubber sleeve bore until sleeve end is
need not be removed from casino (49).
approximately even with lapped face of the seal rotary
c. Cleaning, Inspection. and Repair.
(1) Clean all parts with cleaning solvent
(4) Install the shaft sleeve (23) on shaft (29)
PD680. Dry thoroughly.
so that lapped surface of seal rotary element and
(2) Inspect parts for cracks, breaks, damaged
beveled end of sleeve is toward shaft intermediate
threads, and other damage.
housing (35). Push shaft sleeve until it seats on shaft
(3) Replace gaskets.
(4) Inspect all threads for damage. Rechase
threads or replace as necessary.