(2) Disconnect the fuel lines connecting
Reassembly and Installation.
the fuel pump to the fuel tank (TM 5-4320-234-12, para
(1) Position the coupling half (13, fig. 2-
22) on the drive plate (12); secure with six cap screws
(10) and lock washers (11).
(2) Position the assembled drive plate and
Although this engine is equipped with a
coupling half on the engine flywheel; secure with eight
reverse polarity protector to prevent
cap screws (8) and lock washers (9).
alternator damage due to reverse-polarity
connections, you should always take
(3) Position the collar (6) on the coupling
special precautions when connecting and
half (7); secure with the retaining ring (5). Make sure
disconnecting electrical leads and cables.
the retaining ring is fully seated in the ring groove and
Do not ground the field terminal between
install the lock wire (4) into the retaining ring.
the alternator and regulator.
operate the alternator in an open circuit
(4) Position the assembled coupling half
with the rotor winding energized. Do not
(7) and collar (6) on the end of the impeller shaft so that
ground the alternator output circuit. You
the keyway engages the key on the shaft. Secure with
should take care to prevent reversing
the setscrew (3).
polarity of the electrical system. When you
use a battery booster or fast charge, make
(5) Install three cushions (2) on each
sure the leads are connected with the
coupling half; secure each with a sleeve (1).
correct polarity. Failure to follow these
instructions may damage the rectifiers,
(6) Install the assembled pump and
voltage regulator, and wiring.
bearing housing onto the engine and chassis frame
(3) Disconnect the battery cables at the
battery, taking care to prevent shorting, grounding, or
reverse-polarizing the electrical system. Disconnect the
battery cable from the engine.
Removal. Remove the engine from the
centrifugal pump and chassis frame as follows:
(4) Remove the bolts (3 and 4, fig. 2-23),
flat washers (5), nuts (1), and lock washers (2) that
Remove the centrifugal pump (para 2-
secure the engine to the chassis frame. Use a suitable
lift truck to raise the engine from the chassis, taking care
to insert the forks under structural members only.