Figure 4-8. Gear cover and front end plate, exploded view.
(5) Press the seal (13) from the gear cover.
Spec. P-D-680); dry thoroughly.
(6) Remove the assembled washer screw
(3) Inspect the gear cover for cracks,
(16), capscrews (17) and flat washers (18) that secure
distortion, damaged sealing surfaces, and other
the front end plate (19) to the cylinder block; remove the
damage; replace a damaged gear cover.
front end plate and gasket (20).
(4) Inspect all other parts for cracks,
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
distortion, worn or damaged threads, and other damage;
replace damaged parts.
c. Reassembly and Installation.
Clean all parts in a well-ventilated area.
(1) Refer to figure 4-8, items 1 through 15,
Avoid inhalation of solvent fumes and
and install the gear cover.
prolonged exposure of skin to cleaning
(2) Secure the crankshaft pulley (3, fig. 4-13)
solvent. Wash exposed skin thoroughly.
to the crankshaft, using the starting jaw (1) and collar
Dry cleaning solvent (Fed. Spec. P-D-680)
used to clean parts is potentially dangerous
(3) Install the governor on the engine (para 3-
to personnel and property. Do not use near
6). Time the magneto (TM 5-4320-234-12, para 4-35).
open flame or excessive heat. Flash point of
solvent is 100 F. to 138 F. (38 C. to 59 C.).
4-8. Flywheel and Flywheel Housing
a. Removal. Remove the flywheel and flywheel
(1) Discard and replace all gaskets and seals.
housing as follows:
(2) Clean all parts with cleaning solvent (Fed.