Table 2-1. Troubleshooting - Continued
TEST OR INSPECTION
(2) If a 0.013 inch (0.032 cm) feeler gage moves back and forth in gap when the valve is not being lifted, and a 0.015 inch (0.037 cm) feeler gage
binds at all times, the clearance requires no adjustment.
(3) Check the exhaust valve clearance in the manner described above, using 0.015 (0.37 cm) and 0.017 inch (0.042 cm) feeler ga. es
(4) If a 0.013 (0.032 cm) or 0.015 inch (0.037 cm) feeler gage is gripped at all times, the clearance is insufficient.
Adjust valves as follows:
(1) Hold valve lifter with an open end wrench while using a second wrench to turn adjusting screw one-quarter to one-half turn
clockwise. Repeat clearance cheek and adjustment until you obtain the proper clearance. The adjustable type valve lifters have
self-locking adjusting screws that require no lock nuts.
(2) Install valve chamber cover and gasket Se re valve chamber cover to cylinder block with nuts and washers.
(3) Install positive crankcase ventilation valve and fittings in valve chamber cover.
2. WATER TEMPERATURE SAFETY SWITCH STOPS ENGINE OPERATION
Step 1. Test the radiator for leaks.
a. Remove the radiator from the unit.
(1) Drain the radiator and oil cooler and remove the coolant and oil cooler lines from the radiator.
(2) Remove the engine housing as necessary to provide access to the radiator for removal.
(3) Remove screws (1, fg. 2-5), fiatwashers (2), and fan guard (3). Remove screws (4), lockwashers (5) and remove supports (6
and 7). Remove screws (8), lockwashers (9), fiat washers (10), and fan shroud (11).