Figure 4-32. Wheel assembly, exploded view.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
tubes with more than four patches.
c. Installation. Using proper tire mounting tools,
(1) Clean the tires with a high-pressure water
install the tires and tubes on the wheel as shown in
(2) Inspect the tire for cuts, bruises, punctures,
figure 4-32. Note the following:
worn treads, imbedded stones, and severe abrasions.
(1) Position the inner tube (4) and flap (5) in the
Skive around cuts and imbedded stones with a sharp
knife to remove all edges which could catch against
(2) Position the assembled tire and tube on the
sharp rocks and result in further tearing. Inspect the
wheel (2), making sure the valve stem extends in the
inside of the tire for broken cords and punctured walls.
Replace tires which are damaged beyond repair.
(3) After you have properly mounted the tire on
(3) You can check the inner tube by filling it
the wheel, inflate the tire to 40 psi.
with air and immersing it in water to locate any leaks.
(4) Install the assembled wheel, tire, and tube
Patch the leaks. Check the tube for cracks, brittleness,
on the hub (15); secure with cap screws (1).
and signs of deterioration. Replace defective tubes or